Thursday, October 9, 2008

The little monster in my mind--The EGO

Hello Everyone,

I want you to meet the this little monster that I caught (became aware of) reeking havoc to my peace of mind, and common sense a few years ago. I call him ego-man, to be nice. I have called him much worse, but I now refrain because even though he is the Tasmanian devil in my mind, he has also taught me vital lessons.
First of all, I want to tell you that he must be watched constantly ( which is exhausting) but over time, as you remain in control of your thoughts, he gets tired of trying to convince you to listen and gives up when you don't let him win. He is a big suck. But--if you let him run his mouth off, he will push all of your "nasty" buttons. By nasty, I mean self-defeating thoughts, anger, resentment, jealousy, envy, doubt, revenge...to name a few. He is a bully, and we all know how to defeat bullies: Understand that they are just misguided, full of fear and wanting love.
I can't really blame him though. He was placed in our psyche to protect us from dying a painful death way back when we were living in caves and chasing our food. The ego-man kept us alert, in fear, so that we could survive.
The kick is, we are not chasing our food any longer, and the ego has had to take up a new profession; instead of protecting us from death with fear thoughts, he has been very creative in expanding his fear thoughts to keep us miserable. (Something like a payback for not needing him any longer.)
So, he had built his enterprise, and was rolling with glee in the power of making me miserable, until one day I became aware of HIM.
My awareness was taught to me through the book "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. Everyone knows who he is now (re: Oprah) and that is a good thing. I read the book in 2005 and I am very grateful that I did. It opened my eyes to the chaos and negativity that was reigning in my mind, and to the power I had to overcome it.
...to be continued with more adventures of the Ego-man v.s. Empowerment of the Mind and the lessons I have learned.

1 comment:

Julieanne Paige said...

Hi Lisa

It is really great when you become aware of the ego. That little monster seems to pop up in places you would never have expected but it is also a great help when dealing with other people. Tolle speaks more about it in our next book and am really looking forward to hearing what everyone is thinking about his ideas.

Happy Manifesting :)

Julieanne